The Delaware Art Museum will undergo a comprehensive reinstallation of the Museum’s main-floor, permanent collection galleries in 2020. This project requires deinstallation and re-hanging of approximately 250 works of art, assistance with production and installation of graphics, and tracking of object movement in Museum database (TMS). We are seeking an Assistant Preparator, Art Handler who will work collaboratively with Preparators, Registrars, Curators, and contractors to complete the project. It is estimated the position will last up to one year.
- Preparation of works of art for exhibition, storage, and loan, including cutting and assembling mats and frames, safe and orderly movement and storage, computerized location tracking, and packing/unpacking, in accord with professionally accepted standards,
- Assistance with exhibition installation and de-installation, including lighting, painting, label preparation and hanging.
- Routine maintenance and housekeeping for works of art on view and in storage
- Performance of miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
We are seeking an experienced professional who has:
- 1-2 Years art handling experience
- Experience in archival matting and framing techniques
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activity, at times lifting in excess of 75 lbs.
- Basic carpentry and hand tool skills
- High level of sensitivity to irreplaceable art objects
- Driver’s license preferred
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with collections database (TMS or other) preferred
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to HR@delart.org ASAP.
We are committed to inclusivity and encourage qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply. Delaware Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer.