Chronology of the Delaware Art Museum – 1980-2012


1912-1959 | 1960-1979 | 1980-2012

1984 1987-gift-wing
1980-floor-plan-tn
The Gilpin Allegheny Company donates the space at the entrance to their offices, in the atrium of the new Hercules Plaza building, for use as the Downtown Gallery.Formative stages of the $6.5 million Capital Campaign and the blueprint stages for expansion and renovation begin. January 1987 is targeted for completion of the project and March of the same year for the formal Grand Opening. The plan is to construct a 20,000 square foot wing with an additional 15,000 square feet of renovated space.

Proposed floor schemes for the 1987 addition and renovation

1987 held_rome_ii The Museum reopens with the exhibition Howard Pyle: The Artist & His Legacy, held in the newly constructed Pamela and Lammot duPont Copeland Wing.Rome II by Al Held is purchased with the Francis V. duPont Acquisition Fund, established in 1982 and used to contribute to the rapid growth of the Museum’s holdings in the post-World War II era.

Al Held
Rome II, 1982
Acrylic on canvas
F. V. du Pont Acquisition Fund, 1987
DAM #1987-9

1993 peg-room-empty The Museum’s children’s participatory gallery (presently called Kids’ Corner) opens to the public.

The “Peg Room”

1997 morris_rossetti_chairs2 The Museum acquires two chairs designed by William Morris and painted by Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

William Morris and Dante Gabriel Rossetti
The Arming of a Knight and Glorious Gwendolen’s Golden Hair, l. 1856-e. 1857
Painted deal, leather, and nails
Acquired through the Bequest of Doris Wright Anderson and through the F.V. du Pont Acquisition Fund, 1997
DAM #1997-12, DAM #1997-13

2002 Beha_dusk The Museum embarks on a $25 million Capital Campaign, which includes the expansion of the building, the growth of the permanent endowment, and the continuing operations of the Museum. The Museum relocates to Bank One Center on the Riverfront during construction of the New Delaware Art Museum.

Architectural rendering of Garden Entrance, Ann Beha Associates

2005 building_bill_tsai The Delaware Art Museum reopens on Kentmere Parkway after an expansion project. The Museum acquires Walt Kuhn’s Two Clowns (DAM 2005-60) through a gift of Johannes R. and Betty P. Krahmer.

2007 pre-raph_gallery The Museum welcomes home the Samuel and Mary R. Bancroft Collection of Pre-Raphaelite Art, which has been traveling for two years in the exhibition Waking Dreams: The Art of the Pre-Raphaelites from the Delaware Art Museum. Community volunteers install a labyrinth in the Anthony N. Fusco Reservoir.

2008 The Delaware Art Museum is selected to receive the Herbert and Dorothy Vogel Collection of Minimal and Conceptual Art for the State of Delaware.

2009 The Museum acquires through gift the Appel Collection of Art by Leonard Baskin and the M. G. Sawyer Collection of Decorative Bindings.

2012 The Delaware Museum celebrates it centennial.

1912-1959 | 1960-1979 | 1980-2012

return to top