Max Beerbohm Caricatures
A Finding Aid to the Max Beerbohm Caricatures
Helen Farr Sloan Library, Delaware Art Museum
Accessioned: Gift of Helen Farr Sloan
Extent: 5 items
Helen Farr Sloan Library
Delaware Art Museum
2301 Kentmere Parkway
Wilmington, DE 19806
BIOGRAPHY OF MAX BEERBOHM
Max Beerbohm was born in London, England on Aug. 24, 1872. He was educated at Charterhouse and Merton College, Oxford. He was a critic, essayist and caricaturist. He contributed to the famous Yellow Book while still an undergraduate at Oxford As a half brother of the actor-manager Herbert Beerbohm Tree, Max was a brilliant dramatic critic of the Saturday Review from 1898 to 1910, succeeding George Bernard Shaw. In 1910 he married an American actress, Florence Kahn and went to live in Rapallo, Italy (except for the duration of the two World Wars). A charming, witty, and elegant man, Beerbohm was a brilliant parodist and the master of a polished prose style. His works include A Christmas Garland (1912), a collection of parodies on such authors as Joseph Conrad and Thomas Hardy; Zuleika Dobson (1911), an amusing satire on Oxford; Seven Men (1919), stories; and And Even Now (1920) and Mainly on the Air (1947), essays. Beerbohm was accomplished at drawing, and he published several volumes of excellent caricatures, including The Poet's Corner (1904) and Rossetti and His Circle (1922). He was knighted in 1939 on his return from Italy, where he had lived from 1910. A month before his death he married Elizabeth Jungmann. He died in Rapallo, Italy aged 84 on May 20, 1956.
DESCRIPTION OF THE CARICATURES
Dante Gabriel Rossetti, in his back garden.
Caricature by Max Beerbohm (1904), depicting Rossetti, Whistler, Swinburne, Watts-Dunton, Meredith, Burne-Jones, Morris, Hall Caine, Hunt, Ruskin, Fanny Cornforth.
Dante in Oxford
Proctor: "Your Name and College?"
Mr. Rudyard Kipling Takes a Bloomin' Day AH, on the Blasted 'Eath, along with Britannina, 'his Gurl.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Table-talking.
Scene: The B
Mr. Austin Dobson and Mr
back to top
© Delaware Art Museum