The Delaware Art Museum has undergone many alterations in its physical appearance, from the original structure in 1938 to an education wing in 1956 and then expanded gallery space and an auditorium in 1987. In 2003, the Museum again undertook a construction project.
The Museum’s latest expansion and renovation was designed by Ann M. Beha, FAIA, President of the Boston-based firm Ann Beha Architects. In addition, the builder was Skanska USA Building Inc., and the engineer was Ove Arup & Partners Massachusetts Inc.
On June 26, 2005, the Museum reopened with extensive renovations to the original 1938 building and three new Museum wings, offering new facilities for the permanent collection and special exhibitions, arts education programs, the Thronson Café, the Museum Store, offices, meeting areas, and collections care facilities. Total facilities now include over 80,000 square feet of space.